“For I too am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes, and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes, and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it. When Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who followed Him, ‘Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith.’”
Matthew 8: 9-10

          A few verses after this Jesus heals the Centurions servant because of his belief that Jesus could heal by just speaking and not actually seeing the man, this was faith. As 2 Corinthians says, “for we walk by faith, not by sight,” this is so hard to truly live out. Faith requires complete and utter surrender of all we see and trusting in what the Lord has promised us. The Centurion addressed Jesus as Lord, meaning that he knew the position and stature of Jesus. He knew the power of a master to his servants and understood that if Jesus spoke it, it would come true. Jesus marveled at this mans perspective of a faithful servant because no one had understood before, no one got that a servant was to faithfully follow his master without question. In verse 13, it says that “the servant was healed at that very moment,” how must have the servant felt in that moment? He must’ve known that his master had succeeded and been joyfully praising the Lord, because of faith. I don’t think I truly have ever understood the power of Jesus and how He is my master and I am His servant. He should instruct me and I should go or come or just follow without question. I shouldn’t have to see everything God is doing or has done in my life in a physical sense in order for me to believe that He can do anything. I should anxiously await the words of my master and rejoice in the product of faith. He is giving me grace and love freely, so I should have faith that what He has promised through His grace and mercy will come to pass even though I can’t see it. He doesn’t want me to see His plan because then I wouldn’t have faith in Him, I would be leaning on my own knowledge and not on God. I struggle with wanting to know how to do everything and when it needs to be done, I always want to know what is going on around me. The Lord has been asking me to not ask what or how but just to sit and wait patiently before Him, having faith that He knows what’s next and will provide for me in them. I need to follow Christ and let Him guide me on the dance floor and not ask how or what’s next. My application is to pray everyday about following the Lord without question and I will have one of my roommates keep me accountable by praying with me.

Comments