1 Corinthians 9:22
“To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.”
            This verse is contained in the latter parts of Paul’s first letter to the church of Corinth. In this section, Paul is explaining to the church how he has given up all of His rights and his life is no longer his own. He is saying how he is no better than anyone else, he is just doing what the Lord has asked him to do. This verse really hits on adaptability. Paul is saying that he wants to be able to empathize with all people, becoming like them so that he can minister to them. Paul had every right to be boastful in his time, but he recognized that it was his duty to God to preach the gospel and Paul did it only to glorify the Father. Paul was able to be all things to all people because he came in humility before God and God gave Paul the ability to do it. Paul knew that there wasn’t a way for him to accomplish what God had called him to unless he adapted to those he was ministering to. How many times are we willing to do this? Do we ever willingly go to those we minister and become all things to them because then God can work mightily through us to them in those moments? Now, don’t get me wrong, we shouldn’t commit sin unto God to become all things to all people. That isn’t what gets us to relate to them truly and show them Christ because then we look just like the rest of the world. God can give us the ability to adapt and relate to others in His way. He gave Paul the ability because Paul asked and he submitted to God, that’s all we have to do, ask and submit.
            I’m no expert in this area. I find it easier to just go out and share with others without trying to relate to them. I don’t think about what they have gone through in life and try to relate the gospel to them in that way, I just tell them and expect them to understand. It’s not comfortable to go out and try to build a relationship with someone and relate the gospel message to them. Even with people in my everyday life, I find it hard to adapt to them because I let how I feel get in the way of trying to serve them. The funny thing is, I know God hasn’t called us to be comfortable at all, but I stay there anyway. It goes back to being selfish and prideful with who I am. When it comes to God, we are all o the same playing field. I am no better than anyone else. I am just a lowly servant given the opportunity to work for a gracious Master. God has to constantly remind me that I am here to glorify Him in all I do, and that means relating to others and sharing the gospel how they will understand, not how I’m comfortable sharing it. My life is not my own, it isn’t one of comfort or perfection, it is one of serving and submission and storms that only God can get me through. My application is to ask my roommates if there is anything I can change in order to adapt to them better

Comments