1 Timothy 6:6-8
“But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.”
This set of verses if very convicting in my life. I’m not always content with what I have. If I’m tired of a certain food, I complain, or if I want a certain clothing item and I can’t have it, I get upset. In this generation, we expect to get whatever we want. We always want more and more, we aren’t content with what we have. The Lord has blessed us with what we have and what has been given to us. It’s not about the kind of food we eat or the stuff that we own, it’s about giving the glory to God and thanking Him for all that we have.

Even in our spiritual lives, we can be discontent. We don’t get the answer we want from God, or we are in a trial in our lives. We can also feel like God isn’t there and find discontentment in that. God sent His Son to die for us and we can’t be content with the gift that we don’t even remotely deserve. God is so willing to love us through it all. On my own, I will never find contentment in what I have or where I am in my walk with the Lord. It’s not about what someone else has or what their relationship with God is like, it’s about my thankfulness and relationship with Him. The Lord is the one who can block out all of the noise and help me be truly content in where I am. My flesh will always want more or compare to others, but God can fight my flesh for me and help me focus on Him and the promises He has for my life. My application for this is to ask my roommates where discontentment is in their lives and pray for them, that the Lord would give them contentment in it.

Comments