Galatians 5:13
“For you were called freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.”
            When I read this verse, I think of the freedom we have in Christ. When we start following Him, He gives us freedom. Some Christians have this amazing moment where they come to know Christ and then they are lukewarm in their faith, thinking that they can still do whatever they want because God will forgive them anyway. Our freedom from Christ isn’t a get out of jail free card. What He gifts us is something we should cherish and honor, and not use it as an excuse or for our own selfish ambition. Because He abides in us, we should want to love others and share His message with them and serve them in whatever way we can. As Christ followers, we are called to repent and then we will be forgiven. This means that we can’t just ask for forgiveness and continue on in our flesh and sin, but that we turn from the things holding us back from that relationship with Christ and strive to dive deeper into Him while we deny the flesh.

            I find myself falling into the trap of being lukewarm and continuing to live in my flesh while asking for forgiveness from God. I had that Christian mindset of knowing that I would be forgiven but not really fully understanding that I had to turn from that sin in order to have that full-fledged relationship with God. I can put on the face of having repented and convincing myself that I had, but then I realize that I didn’t repent at all, I just asked for forgiveness with no application. I can also act like I’m serving God by serving others with love, but I will have a bitter heart and mind. When I realize that I do it, I ask for forgiveness but continue to commit that sin in my heart. God is showing me that freedom in Him is more than forgiveness for sin, it’s grace and mercy found in Him and it requires repentance and relationship with Him. My application is to ask my girls team for Uganda if there is anything I can do to serve them and do it with a loving heart.

Comments