Matthew 5: 13-16
“You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory  to your Father who is in heaven.”


   In the context of this verse, Jesus is preaching the sermon on the mount, teaching His disciples, and right after He finished the beatitudes He preaches about being salt and light in this world. Back in those days, salt was used for two purposes. The first was to preserve food because they didn't have refrigeration at that time. In the environment in the Middle East, meat would spoil quickly if not preserved. The second way salt was used is the same as it is today, to enhance the flavor of the food we eat. When meat isn't preserved, it isn't safe to partake in, because you could get sick. Living in this world, we are to preserve the good and fight off the evil because our flesh (paralleled to the unpreserved food), will only fail and be rotten. In Romans 8:7-8 it says, "For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God." When we aren't a preservative on this earth, God can't use us for His glory to reflect into others lives and help preserve more of His children by Him working through us. Also being something that adds flavor can apply to us in our lives here on earth. Salt adds something new and important to food, it draws out flavor and makes a difference. As children of God, with the Holy Spirit living inside of us, we are called to make a difference in the world around us. We are called to influence the world for good and add that dynamic to our daily life so that we are a positive influence to the environment around us. In Luke 6:35-36 it says, "But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful." We are called to be the difference an the change in the world, adding love and joy that can come from none other that God, because He is all of these things and He does them, so should we as faithful children desiring to become more like our Father.
  Next is being the light of the world. In John 12:46 Jesus says, "I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness." When we come to know God and believe in Him, He is the light that dwells in us, shining for all to see. His light shines through us, and we should make it obvious that He lives in us and desires for us all to remain in the light. This world is dark, but Jesus is the light that overcomes all darkness and He has chosen us to be His vessels to portray His light upon those around us, constantly. We don't get to pick when His light shines, it is a constant and everlasting and it cannot be dulled or put out. We are children of the light who no longer have to remain in darkness. It is a joy that we get to be vessels of light who walk in light free and joyful, and we also get to share it with others soothes can be free too! 
  The Lord has been teaching me that I get this opportunity and it's a privilege to walk on this earth for this purpose. In my pride, I always think that I have the right to do as I please and if I don't want to be salt and light then I don't have to. God is showing me how selfish those thoughts are and where my heart and mind need to change in that. With the Holy Spirit dwelling in me, my  desire should be only His desires for me and my purpose to glorify Him in my daily walk and life, being salt and light as He instructed. In my flesh, I cannot please my father and live for Him. he is showing me that there isn't a choice to live in light and to not live in light, it is a continual walking in the light of Christ because He has freely covered me in it. His light cannot be dulled and if I am truly following after Him, then His desires will be my desires and I see that I get to walk in light and I get to be a preserver and witness for my gracious Savior who dwells in me. My application is, each night, to write a situation where the Lord changed my heart to be more like His.



Comments