Psalm 27:14
“Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!”


This psalm of David is one that the Lord has been bringing me back to throughout the duration of my field time. David is crying out to the Lord and writing about the salivation that He brings. He starts out this psalm by proclaiming that the Lord is his light and salvation and then he goes into other attributes of the Lord and how we are to respond to all the Lord is. As I was reading and studying through this psalm, I got to this last verse of the chapter and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Recently I’ve been feeling really stagnant in my relationship with the Lord and have been in a phase of waiting upon Him. When this time of waiting comes, I lose sight of the Lord and His goodness and I revert back to my flesh and I look at al of the temporal things instead of the eternal. I start to look through my eyes instead of the eyes of the Lord. Even though I have still been reading my Bible in the mornings and have been learning more, it is definitely not as fruitful because I am doing it as more of a task instead of devotion and desiring to dig deep and know my Creator more. 
As I read this verse I was reminded of Abraham and how he had to wait for the Lord for so long to deliver His promise to him. Even though he had to wait for years, he still had faith in the Lord and the confidence that He would do exactly what was promised to him. Even in his old age, Abraham and Sarah bore Issac and the Lord made Abraham the father of many nations. Now, Abraham didn’t live to see the promise of many nations that the Lord gave him, but he died knowing that the Lord was faithful and had a wonderful plan to bring this promise to fruition. Now, mine and Abraham’s situations are quite a bit different, but the Lord really showed me the magnitude of courage and faith Abraham had in the Lord even when all looked grim. Abraham’s heart took courage and stayed strong in the Lord because he kept his eyes on the Lord.
Even in this season where I am called to wait upon the Lord and just abide in His presence, there is still joy to be found in the midst of the waiting. As I read this verse and meditated on it, the Lord showed me that waiting is such a beautiful thing. I get to sit and abide in His presence and soak up so much of Him; I get to listen for His still small voice and turn off all the noise around me. I get to exercise the faith that He has been cultivating in me and really apply it in my heart. Waiting is more than just waiting, it is a beautiful time to really soak up sitting before the Lord. Our lives are so crazy and there are so many things going on that few people really get to sit before the Lord in this way. I get so easily frustrated because I don’t understand why the Lord would have me go through this time and then He gently reminds me that it is a privilege that I even get to wait upon Him and that it a reasonable act of worship before the Lord who died for me so I may live. In this time, I get to be strong in the Lord and all He has planned for me even if I don’t see it yet and I get to take courage in my Father who is continually faithful, to the end. 

My application is to read over the promise the Lord gave to Abraham and pray that my waiting would be fruitful to abide in Him and have faith in His presence in my life.

Comments