James 1:5
“If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”

In verses 6 and 7 it goes on to say that it should be asked with no doubting in faith because if there is doubt in the Lord’s power, then they can’t expect they will receive anything from Him. If we lack in wisdom and desire to grow in that area of our lives, then we just have to ask God in faith and it will be given to us. We should desire this wisdom so that we can come to know the Lord more, not so we can be smarter than the person sitting next to us. When we ask God, we have to have the right heart behind it, or it will not be given to us. Wisdom is something the Lord utilizes through His people so they get to know Him better, but also so others can be pointed to Him. In Job, a younger man rebukes Job and his friends for their actions and tells them what God wants them to know through this younger man. Now, just because this man was younger than Job and his friends doesn’t mean the Lord can’t give him wisdom or understanding beyond his years, he just has to trust that God will give him the words to say and trust in Him. I always think that because I am younger, that I can’t have wisdom or ask for it from God. Wisdom is something that seems so big and undeserved because of my walk with God or having grown up in the church. Growing up in church has helped me know stories and information about God, but not really understanding a lot of it because I believed that I should just know it. I didn’t think I needed wisdom to understand, but that I just should know it all because I grew up being taught and told all of these things. I thought that God wouldn’t give me wisdom to understand what He was trying to teach me or show me in my everyday life; I thought wisdom was only for people like my grandparents and others who were older than me and had more experience. Recently, I’ve realized that it doesn’t matter that I’ve grown up in church, or how old I am, it only matters if I ask God for it and what my heart is behind it. I desire to grow closer to Him and to know more about Him and the word. I want to have wisdom that is from God, not me trying to figure it all out on my own. My application is to write down the areas where I want to grow in wisdom and write down what God shows me after I’ve taken it to Him in prayer.

Comments