Ephesians 6:1; Colossians 3:20
“Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.”; “Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.”
            I’ve heard both of these verses plenty of times in my life, but I’ve never taken the time to study them and see what they mean under the surface. God gives each of us earthly parents. These are supposed to be the people who raise us and love us throughout our lives. This isn’t a reality for all of us, but God still puts people in our lives that are like a mother or father that point us to Him and help us develop a relationship with Him. Our parents are a blessing to us, that really show us what a relationship with the Lord looks like and points us to Him in all we do. Parents are supposed to be an important part in our walk with Christ, helping us understand Him more and learn more about Him. I know that I’m supposed to obey my parents, but I’ve never thought about what that means in the Lord’s eyes. It pleases Him when we obey our parents in all things, not just some things. That means that no matter what they ask, I obey them without complaint unless it goes directly against what God’s word says. I know, in my life, I haven’t always done that with my parents. Either I didn’t do what they asked or I did it with complaint, sometimes I would do what they asked because I wanted to, but that definitely wasn’t always the case.  

In my mind, I never saw it as being disobedient to God, I was caught up in the moment and only thinking about myself. When we disobey our parents, we disobey God because He has put them in authority over us. In my flesh, I don’t always want to obey, but because I am also a child of God I should obey them as if I am doing it unto God. My parents are a blessing and only want the best for me in all things, even if I don’t understand in the moment. They are supportive of me following what god has called me to and I couldn’t be more thankful for them. God wants me to show them that by being obedient and doing all things for them as I would for God. My application for this is to pray that when I go home, I will do what they ask with an obedient heart and as I would unto God.

Comments