Romans 15:1
“We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves.”
            The main point of this verse is to adapt to others and to think of others before yourself. This means slowing down for those who aren’t at the same pace as you and helping them along. We are selfish by nature, so that means we have a hard time denying what we desire and putting others first. Christ was never selfish, He always put others before Himself, even if it hurt. His heart was pure and He welcomed us into His arms even though it hurt. Imagine what our lives would be like if Jesus had put Himself before us and He decided He didn’t want to die on the cross for us, our lives would be much different today. We would have no hope and no Savior to help us through life, our lives would be desolate. Jesus wasn’t selfish when He went and died an excruciating death just so that I could be free from my sins in Him. As Christ followers, we are called to live a life striving to become more like Christ, and that means we have to deny ourselves and put others before us.

            I know I struggle with this concept because I always want what I want and it doesn’t matter if someone else needs something or not. My life is not my own anymore and that means that I can’t live for myself, I live for the glory of God. Because I live for glory of God, putting others first means that I am last and I won’t get what I want, but I’ll be doing what God has asked. I would rather please my heavenly Father and deny what I want than to disobey Him. Whether that be that I go last in line for meals, or I let someone use the bathroom before I do, or I pay for something for someone, as long as I do it for the glory of God. My application is to buy one of my classmates food or coffee when we go out into town this weekend.

Comments