Romans 6:16
“Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?”
            Being a slave has a negative connotation to the rest of the world. In this context, it is used so we can understand that we are under a Master and if we are obedient to Him then we will be reflective of Him. When you are a slave to someone or something, it isn’t about yourself anymore, it’s about that person or thing you are a slave to. In Galatians 2:20 it says, “I have been crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” I don’t want to be an obedient slave to sin, letting it control my life, I want to be an obedient slave to Christ who died for me. Even though I am a slave to Him, I am more free than someone who is slave to sin. Christ sets me free in spirit and releases me from my past sin and shame that otherwise I would be a slave to. Because I am in Christ and He lives in me, my life is not my own anymore. A slave never questions their master and they do what they are asked, this is how I want to be with Christ. I desire to be completely obedient in all things, following without question.
            In my life, I don’t have that blind obedience to my Master. There is always a question involved with a task. In this generation, we are taught to question authority and if we don’t agree we either don’t do it, or we do it with complaint. I find myself doing the second of these two options. I don’t see the point in doing something, or I just don’t want to do it, so I do it with a complaining heart and mind. I don’t do a lot of things as I would unto the Lord, I put myself first or I just do it to check it off of a list of tasks. I’m not always all in to what God has called me to do and I get stuck in my own feelings and thoughts. God has called me to a life lived completely for Him, a slave to his will and call. I should simply follow where He leads and stay on the path He has carved for me. Only God can make me obedient to Him if I’m open to his will, seeking Him in all things no matter how I feel or what the circumstance is. If I don’t do what He says out of obedience in my heart or I don’t do it to glorify Him, then he doesn’t want me to do it. He is teaching me to seek Him in all things and to become so flexible that I bend at the slightest touch of His finger. It isn’t and will never be about me, it’s all about the glory of Jesus who died so that I could be a slave set free from sin, under His wing. My application for this is to pray with Hope when I’m not feeling like doing what God is calling me to and I have a bad attitude about it, asking for God to change my heart.


Comments