Matthew 20:26-28
“It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you be your slave, even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many.”
            Jesus came to this earth knowing that He was going to die. He gave His life before the Father so that God’s wrath was placed on Him instead of us. In our lives as Christ followers, we are supposed to become more like Jesus, with help from God. Jesus could’ve lived a lavish life on Earth if He had chosen to do so. He could’ve been born into a rich family with everything they ever needed taken care of, but He didn’t come for that reason. He came so that He could help fix messy people and given hope to everyone and cover our sins with His grace, He ultimately came to serve us. Jesus came to shed His blood for us in the greatest act of service ever and sometimes we can’t even do a simple chore without complaining.

            There have been many times in my life where I was asked to do something and I would do it, but not because I wanted to, because I had to. Sometimes I find myself falling into the pattern of things and forget the reason behind why I do everything in life, because of Jesus. Now, don’t get me wrong, God gives us grace and forgiveness in all things, he doesn’t condemn us when we mess up, He just convicts us and asks that we change. Condemnation is not from God, it’s from the enemy, God convicts us and shows us how to change our hearts, that is very different from feeling shame over what we have done. For myself, I get stuck in the condemnation of not being a servant all the time, but I have to remember that I’m not perfect and I’m going to mess us sometimes, I just have to repent and ask the Lord to change my heart. In order to be a servant as Jesus was, I have to ask God to shape me more into the image of His Son knowing that when I do mess up, there is grace and forgiveness. My application for this is to serve a sick teammate in whatever way they need.

Comments